Dandruff is the build up of skin flakes in the hair. It is caused by a fungal infection. It is uncommon for dandruff sufferers to be cured, but the flaking can be controlled.
- Dandruff is common and should not be something to be embarrassed about.
- Choose a treatment that is proven to work.
- Wash the hair frequently, daily if possible.
- Use an anti-dandruff shampoo regularly to stop dandruff returning.
- Do not scratch at the flakes, as this will only make it worse.
- Avoid highly perfumed shampoos and shampoos that strip the hair.
- Not all scalp flaking is dandruff.
(Rowland’s pharmacy 2017)